Friday, January 6, 2012

The Happiest Place on Earth

"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." Steve Jobs

When Disney World in Florida opened for the first time, I was thirteen. I wanted to go there so badly, and I decided that one day I would. Fast forward forty years, and tomorrow that dream comes true. To say that I am excited doesn't even begin to cover it. My best and oldest friend in the world is meeting me there, and she is bringing her two tiaras, one for me and one for her. She says that every woman needs at least two good quality tiaras. Now you understand why she's my BFF.

This year I will turn 54, the same age my father was when he died quite suddenly. I was a teenager at the time, so my view of my father was that of a young girl. He died while he was still my hero, before I could see him and know him from the perspective of an adult viewing her parent. I do know that his relationships with my much older siblings were quite different than what I had with him years later, and not at all in a good way. He was not a happy person, and he could be cruel, although not to me. My older sister described him one time as "an exhausted person, just trying to survive." It's safe to say that he did not create the kind of life he could have had.

I won't be blogging while I'm on holiday, but I hope you have a great week. Spend some time doing what makes you happy. Put a smile on someone's face. Make some plans to look forward to. Polish your tiara. I'll tell Mickey you said hello.

Susan

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love this! It made me cry! I am sooooo happy for you!! I will find my Tiara amidst my childhood and polish it up so it is all shiny by the time you get home!!!! So glad you are saying Hi to Mickey for us all!!! I think you should send this to Disney! This is just full of "Gems" for us humans!!!

    ReplyDelete